Live From Belfast 2007

I'm working as a volunteer for Habitat for Humanity Northern Ireland this year. My adventures are listed below.

Tuesday, August 07, 2007

Dewey Decimal and a Cup of Coffee

Ah books. Tonight I went to my first book club. The club has been meeting for a while in a local coffee shop near Queens University called Common Grounds. This month's book was The Book Thief.


I thought the book was quite good and written in a very unusual style - refreshing after reading so many Jodi Picoult books where someone always sees the inside of a jail and someone else always finds a reason to spout off medical jargon. Right. Back to The Book Thief.

I won't give away any of the plot or even the general idea of the book in case you want to read it, and I hope that you do. There are many layers to the book and a few grand themes. I tried very hard to only contribute new angles and ideas to the discussion and refrained from saying things like, "I just didn't like this character." Or "I didn't like the book. OK, I only read a bit of the beginning, but I didn't like it so much I won't finish it. Now let me dominate the conversation with reasons that the book was bad." Both of these things happened but neither of them were my doing.

I hope I was a good ambassador for the public school system in South Carolina, as my comments seemed to attract several "Good point" remarks. Or maybe I just read into things too much.

Now that's a story for another time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home