Live From Belfast 2007

I'm working as a volunteer for Habitat for Humanity Northern Ireland this year. My adventures are listed below.

Monday, June 25, 2007

The House That Mr. Darcy Built

Joni Mitchell definitely knew what she was talking about when she said, "they paved paradise and put up a parking lot." It seems the people in the town of Longford have done just this to the glorious Carrig Glas Manor.

I was told about a house in the middle of Ireland (more north than south) that was built by Thomas Lefroy in 1837. Mr Lefroy, it seems, was once an aquaintance of the one-and-only Jane Austen. Some speculate that it was Mr. Lefroy who inspired the character Mr. Darcy in Pride and Prejudice. Could such a man as Mr. Darcy really have existed? My curiousity was too much to ignore so I decided to head down to Longford last Saturday. My guide book promised that tours were given from 11am to 5pm and that there would indeed be a gift shop. The book also said that the house was still owned by the Lefroy family and that the house was a gothic revival style manor. I set off with visions of one grand grey house in mind.

After driving for three hours on badly marked roads through blink-and-you'll-miss-'em towns like Butler's Bridge and Bellananagh, I arrived at a massive stone wall just outside of Longford.

(Exhibit A: the stone wall)


There were numerous construction signs and estate agency photos promising luxurious condos posted along the crumbling stone wall. This wall went on forever. Mr. Lefroy was definitely a man of impressive wealth...much like a certain literary character, but moving on...

I drove around this wall twice (still raining). To give you an idea of how big this wall is, I spent 20 minutes driving around the property...once. There was no way to enter. What was with all of this construction? Surely this is the right place. Giant old stone wall. Road signs a few miles back with "Carrigglas Manor." New condos called Carrig Glas Dreams or whatever. Where was my house?

Folks, I am sad to say this impressive, gorgeous house is being turned into a 19 room hotel. Here's a website with more details (if you can stomach anymore details about the changes this place is undergoing) http://www.carrigglas.ie/carrig-glas-manor-house.php

And just to be sure that I was in fact at the right giant old stone wall I called the info number on the website. The estate agent confirmed that the grounds would one day include a large hotel, a golf course, gulp - shops and pubs - and just to put the dagger in my heart, the manor would be a small hotel. Then he asked if I would like to book an event there.

Oh Mr. Darcy. What a depressing ending to such a promising beginning.

(Exhibit B: the closed gates)

2 Comments:

At 5:44 AM , Blogger Icha said...

Dear Elisabeth, thank you for your report. It is indeed news of the most alarming nature... and I as one of the administrators of Becoming Jane Fansite feels sorry for the fate of Carrigglas. But I hope, the Manor remains in good hands.

I 'steal' your picture (Stone wall) here for my BJ blog:
http://becomingjane.blogspot.com/2007/08/oh-no-carrigglas-is-turned-into-hotel.html

And of course I acknowledge you as the source.

thanks for the post again!

 
At 1:46 PM , Blogger rockell said...

Elizabeth,
I too had a rather disturbing experience, just like yours, only I was met by a rather rude and awful security guard. Instead of assisting my search he told me to get the F"*k away from the property. My goodness, what a shame that our own Mr. Cowen had the cheek to support the development in the very first instance (it's sweet to see he's recieving what he deserves at last!). Whouldn't he of served the nation a far greater service (afterall he is a public rep, that is for the entire population, not just the construction greedy portion he grew so fond of!) had he of entertained the conservation professionals the state holds, by allowing them to do their job and preserve what's important? No, instead he thought it better to indulge in the 'glitzy' parties that turned its back on preserving our heritage! Oh, well thank God the bubble has burst and hopefully the whole of our heritage won't become golf course and hotel paradise.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home