Live From Belfast 2007

I'm working as a volunteer for Habitat for Humanity Northern Ireland this year. My adventures are listed below.

Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Long time no chat

Last week I went on a lil' holiday with my friend April. We toured Ireland like good Americans should - in a car. We drove from Dublin to Kilkenny to West Cork to Connemara to Bushmills to Belfast. And, like good tourists, we snapped away on our cameras the entire week. Because it was the week after Easter, there weren't too many other tourists out and about and that was nice. We happened to be in Dublin on Good Friday and were surprised and amused to find that the city seems to shut down on that day. I kid you not when I report that every single pub was closed.

The weather for the week was uncharacteristically Irish- sunny and warm. As you can see from the photo I'm attaching, this weather makes for very nice photos. This pic was taken at Kylemore Abbey in Connemara (County Galway). Very nice part of the world, I say. I was tempted to just camp out there for good.



I returned to Belfast with loads of nice pictures and memories of my road trip. In the few days I've been back, I've been offered a new job of sorts. The job won't require me to leave Habitat or anything like that; I'll just be working as a residence mistress at a local boarding school. This gives me a chance to live in a great part of town for free, work with youth and get out of a not-so-ideal living situation. The experience should be hilarious since I'll be living on a school campus again and will be surrounded by girls aged 11-17. But I think this job will provide a terrific opportunity to meet new people, live in a charming part of the city and allow me to work with youth, something else I love.

It seems that my week away marks a turning point. I am excited about my new place of residence, looking forward to getting more projects at work and constantly daydreaming about travel plans for the rest of the year.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home