Live From Belfast 2007

I'm working as a volunteer for Habitat for Humanity Northern Ireland this year. My adventures are listed below.

Friday, February 09, 2007

A Wee Car For A Wee Road


Thankfully I can report that I have driven the city streets of Belfast several times now and no one has been injured. Habitat provides a car for the long-term volunteers and this year we are lucky to have a brand new Fiat Punto (an ad featuring my "wee" car is to the right). It's not glamorous but it sure does smell good. And it's a good thing the lil' Punto is a "wee" car because the roads here are ridiculous.

First, there is the obvious task of retraining yourself to drive on the left-hand side of the road. Then you are thinking about roundabouts and shifting and clutches and not backing into the car behind you. Once you think you've got it covered you take a turn and discover that you've got to navigate a "wee" road full of "wee" cars, children and the ever present stray dog.

I thought driving in LA would prepare me for anything, but I think Belfast has SoCal beat.

I also never thought I would hear so many adults use the word "wee" so often.

Labels:

2 Comments:

At 2:38 PM , Blogger Michelle said...

oh my gosh Elisabeth. Your posts were so funny. I love the car. Where can I get one? Behave yourself and give us some photos soon!

M

 
At 3:34 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good God. Just what Belfast needs another American let loose with a car on our streets.
Just think of roundabouts as 4 way stop intersections but the only traffic you need to to be concerned about is the traffic comming from the right. No traffic from that direction and you have the right of way.....oh watch our for tailgaters and taxi drivers and drivers who refuse to indicate.......and......well, you get the picture.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home