Live From Belfast 2007

I'm working as a volunteer for Habitat for Humanity Northern Ireland this year. My adventures are listed below.

Thursday, February 22, 2007

Americans On Tour

How'd We Live Without The World Wide Web?
Today my Internet was finally activated at home. Now I can finally use my Skype account on a regular basis and update my blog. These past few weeks without Internet left me feeling as though I've been missing a limb. One of my housemates (The Gramps-but more on that later) is a little bit addicted to the Internet. Everyday she complained about how lazy the people in the office are because they've been no help getting us online or how badly she can't wait to check her email while sitting on the couch watching terrible cable TV. No more! Now she can email until her heart's content and I can reconnect with the outside world. If there were testimonial ads for Sky (our cable and Internet provider), I would be first in line.

Ah The Gramps. Also volunteering, The Gramps are a retired couple from Fresno, CA. They are here until November while Mr. Gramps assists with the 4 U.S. teams coming over to build in Belfast. I could fill a novel with talk on my housemates but for now I will say that they are nice people but very set in their ways and very American. You frequent travellers to Europe know what I'm talking about. In a very loud voice, they seem to announce "Well, they don't do it like that back in The States" before entering any public place. In restaurants I have watched in horror as teenage waitresses are lectured about how a hamburger should be prepared or the incorrect naming of things like chips or crisps. I kid you not, once Mr. Gramps translated all of the menu prices into dollars for a waitress and then told her the restuarant was over-charging.

I'll stop here for now. A fourth roommate, another retired lady, moves in next week. Golden Girls, anyone?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home